We at BettyRae Vintage spend hours trawling through pictures of immaculate vintage hair and make up looks. We refuse to let all these hours be wasted though, so we've compiled some tips and tricks to creating the perfect vintage hairstyle!
- Bobby pins are your new best friend. Be sure to pick up as many as possible though, we all know how they mysteriously disappear!
- Don't underestimate the power of water! Waves can be easily manipulated and pin curls work great when left overnight to dry.
- If you really want to go authentic vintage, sugar water was used to hold together their carefully constructed hairstyles. If not, a bottle of hairspray will do!
- Unwashed hair is essential for making hair last longer and more easily manipulated. Freshly washed hair slips out and doesn't have the thickness you get from unwashed, gross but true!
- Especially for those with thin hair, back combing will help when forming victory roll style hair.
- Just like bobby pins, some metal clips go a long way, especially for the 20's style where waves tightly formed to the head were all the rage.
- Take inspiration from our vintage sisters and keep equipment simple. Sometimes shaping a roll with your fingers is better than fighting with combs and tools.
- Consider buying a hair donut that can be unclipped. Not essential but a great time saver!
- And lastly, always try to have the healthiest hair possible. Keeping your locks in great condition will give the look a smooth, sleek finish.
Words by Charlotte Hobbs